Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Post 5: We Are Their Voice

Hi all,
Unfortunately, I was driving home from Virginia yesterday, so I didn't get to volunteer at Brother Wolf, although I did see something in the mall.

While I was recovering from the panic attack I had while getting my ears pierced, my cousins saw a stand that was selling baby sugar bears. Sugar bears are little marsupials that look like baby squirrels that live in trees. They can grow to be about 6 inches long and weigh approximately 4-6 ounces. Sugar bears have skin in between their ankles and wrists, and when spread, they can float on the air and jump from tree to tree.

What angered me was that the poor sugar bears looked barely old enough to be out of their mothers' pouches, and they were being sold as "pocket pets". Being marsupials, if you have a pocket in your shirt, they would snuggle down in and feel more at home with the sound of your heart. Even so, they are being captured from their native rain forest and being sold as pets. Sugar bears only have 2 babies a year, and those offspring are being taken and sold.

These cute creatures may woo you, but ALWAYS look deeper. Think into it before you buy one, because what people tell you may just be the tip of the iceberg.

Madi Moser

No comments:

Post a Comment